Hymn Template Errors

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hymn Template Errors

Justin
Hi,

I used your "LilyPond 2.10.33 Hymn Template" and it is fantastic.  Thank you for saving me a lot of trouble!  When typesetting the hymn I was working on, I ran into some bizarre errors, however, and I wanted to bring them to your attention.

On lines like:

    \override Score . LyricText #'font-size = #-1

I was getting GUILE errors and warnings from lilypond about failed type-checks.  It was a major frustration, and I was pulling my hair out trying to solve these problems.  (The syntax for lilypond tweaks is a minefield of confusion).  In any case, I got that line and the others that were causing problems to work by changing them as follows:

    \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1 %blah

Dropping "Score ." was the first step, but having a comment at the end of the line is also critical.  It doesn't matter what the comment says, it just has to be there.  This looks like a lilypond bug to me, but I wanted to post about this issue here, in case anyone else was having similar problems.

BTW - I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron.

Below is the error I got, in case anyone is running a google search for it:

GNU LilyPond 2.10.33
Processing `./hymn.ly'
Parsing...
./hymn.ly:81:47: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
    \override Score . LyricText #'font-size = #
                                               -1
}#bound variable: #{-1\
Interpreting music...
Interpreting music...
warning: type check for `font-size' failed; value `#<unspecified>' must be of type `number'
warning: type check for `font-size' failed; value `#<unspecified>' must be of type `number'
warning: type check for `font-size' failed; value `#<unspecified>' must be of type `number'
[5]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
MIDI output to `hymn.midi'...
Layout output to `hymn.ps'...
Converting to `hymn.pdf'...
error: failed files: "./hymn.ly"
make: *** [hymn.pdf] Error 1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hymn Template Errors

Justin
Just to follow up, you can leave the "Score . " parts in if you want, as they make the changes universal.  Otherwise, they will only affect the stanza they are included with.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hymn Template Errors

Shule
Administrator
In reply to this post by Justin
Ah, thanks for trying out the template and giving me some feedback! I'm glad to help out.

I don't get the errors you mention for some reason. Not sure why, but we can test it.

I'm using Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, and I just tried it on the same LilyPond version. It worked fine for me on Hardy, too. I'm guessing you did something slightly differently than I did.

Let me send you a pre-done hymn. Let me know if it gives you the same error:
034_A+Poor+Wayfaring+Man+of+Grief.ly

Feel free to let me know if it looks like we did something differently. I didn't use any parameters for compiling the sheet music (other than the file name): i.e. lilypond <file>

On a side note, LilyPond is getting ready to release a new stable version. I'm excited, as this one has some nice new things about it.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Hymn Template Errors

Shule
Administrator
I guess I could have renamed that to something shorter (but hitting tab in the command-line should fill it in for you). I use SciTE, configured to work with LilyPond (sans the syntax highlighting)—so I don't usually need to worry about file name length.
Loading...