Italian hymns

Paul
So I teach an italian class and we often start class by singing hymns. I know that a lot of classes do this and have hoped that italian lyrics might be online. I would love to put them on this site, but I don't know well what the regulations are about putting hymns from the italian LDS hymnal or the best way to go about doing this. How do I know which hymns are in the public domain? How do I make it so the italian compilation that I've found on this site no longer redirects to the english version? Thanks in advance,

Paul

Re: Italian hymns

Shule
Administrator
Thanks for asking. :)

Unfortunately, this isn't as easy of a matter as it should be—mostly because of the translation copyrights, which are probably in effect for most or all of the current Italian lyrics (the church does tend to make more modern translations of hymns, even if older, public domain translations exist—at least with Spanish, anyway). A large percent of the English ones, however, are public domain.

The only sure way of honoring copyright law here, I think, is to contact the church (or IRI) and ask for permission to post them (or maybe ask which ones they're willing to give you permission to post), unless you find a song with a translation copyright not owned by the church (which is entirely possible—especially for songs used by other entities as well). They probably have a formal process for requesting such. I don't know how long they would take to get back with you, either.

If you find an older, public domain, Italian hymnal (published before 1923, or, in some cases, published without a copyright notice) then all the songs in it should be perfectly fine. I know there are LDS hymnals for foreign languages from before then, but I'm not sure about Italian; I wouldn't doubt it, though. Good places to look include places like eBay, used bookstores in Utah, Deseret Industries, and maybe from people or collectors in Italy. Also, looking for online scanned copies is a good idea. Try archive.org with it's e-text search. Google Books is another place to check (maybe even the Italian version of Google Books, too). You may not find anything, but it's probably worth a try. Oh, and if you can't find an LDS hymnal, you can always find a non-LDS hymnal with the songs you're looking for (there are more that might have them than you might think—likely not the purely LDS-themed ones, though).

Anyway, the guidelines for hymns and all parts of them are if they were published before 1923, they're public domain in the United States. If not, they're probably not (but it's still possible, sometimes).

Also, if you translate the songs yourself, from public domain English lyrics, you should be fine (just make sure the English version is public domain).

For tunes, since they don't have to be translated, you can follow the same guidelines as with regular English hymns. I believe I've put up information about all the copyrights for the English hymns in the 1985 LDS hymnal. So, you could check on those, if they would be helpful for you.

If you do find some lyrics that are fine to put up, be sure to tell us exactly where you got them from, and what changes, if any, you made to them.

Now, if the church ever does put the Italian lyrics online (I think they probably will within the next few years), you can always link to the pages that contain them, instead of posting them directly. That wouldn't violate any copyright laws.

I hope this helps.

Re: Italian hymns

Shule
Administrator
About redirects, which article are you referring to? Or, what are the exact words that redirect to the English hymnal?

Here's the page for the current Italian hymnal (it doesn't redirect anywhere, although the article is written in English—we don't have an it.hymnwiki.org site currently):
http://www.hymnwiki.org/Inni%2C_1994

To redirect something, when you edit the page you want to redirect, type the following:
#redirect [[Whatever your new page is called]]

If you want to stop it from doing that, go to the article through the redirect, click on the link that says 'redirected from … ' and then edit the page it takes you to.

Re: Italian hymns

Sarah
I am also interested in teaching hymns in Italian.  Could you help me get started?

Re: Italian hymns

Beth
Hi i would like to get the Song: Call to Serve in Italian. It is possible for you to email it to me?