Primary Songs?

Haruo
The term "Primary Songs" occurs in the first sentence on the Main Page, and is meaningless to me. I take it these are songs primarily aimed at young children, but what the precise definition is I haven't a clue. Perhaps an article could be devoted to the term?

Haruo

Re: Primary Songs?

Shule
Administrator
Wow - I wasn't aware that this was an LDS-only term; some research seemed to reveal that.

Yes - primary songs are essentially synonymous with children's songs in the LDS church, but it appears that this term only applies to songs they actually sing in primary, rather than to children's songs in general.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.  I'll plan to make an article right away, and clarify some things (I'm glad I didn't make that the main term I used for it, now).

Re: Primary Songs?

Haruo
Cordilow wrote
Wow - I wasn't aware that this was an LDS-only term; some research seemed to reveal that.

Yes - primary songs are essentially synonymous with children's songs in the LDS church, but it appears that this term only applies to songs they actually sing in primary, rather than to children's songs in general.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.  I'll plan to make an article right away, and clarify some things (I'm glad I didn't make that the main term I used for it, now).
Again, some clarification of "primary" as a noun might be useful. Is "primary" a grade-level class in Sunday School, or an age-range on the road to the priesthood, or what? Or is it something to do with the evening when the family stays home and does stuff together? Does it cover kids from the moment they're old enough to sing, or does it start in Kindergarten or first grade? How old are the oldest kids in primary? Etc. This may all be "obvious" to one raised/steeped in LDS ways, but I can assure you that it will all need to be explained to most any non-LDS visitor.

Haruo

Re: Primary Songs?

Shule
Administrator
I'll try to remember all the details and put them in the article . . . it's been a while.  Basically, kids are in primary (it's an in-church only sort of thing, unless they plan activities during the week, which happens, but somewhat rarely).

Kids are in it from the time they leave the nursery until they are twelve years old (ages 3 - 11). (The nursery is basically just what it sounds like: some people take care of the kids who are old enough to be away from the parents, and maybe try to teach them stuff, let them play, and whatever else.)

Primary has changed a lot over the years.  Now, it's come to be like a class in church (during the same time as Sunday School for the adults).  Once, it was held during the week, instead of on Sunday.  It is held like an official church class, though, rather than a meeting held at home by the parents (as is done with Family Home Evening, if you're familiar with that).

After leaving primary, children go on to Young Men's and Young Women's (those are more things that need to be addressed on HymnWiki, as there are songs for the youth; basically, they're youth groups, but there is a lot more to know).  When they're 18 they normally go to the normal Sunday School class (unless they attend something else like a temple preparation class, a missionary preparation class, a family history class, a relationships class, a class designed for new members of the church, a class for to help teachers, and so forth; these extra classes are not always available, depending on the circumstances).

Generally speaking, though, the songs of the LDS church have two categories: primary songs and hymns.  There are many other classifications, like Relief Society songs, Aaronic priesthood songs, young women's songs, Melchizedek priesthood songs, songs for youth, mutual/MIA songs (these are essentially songs for youth, much as primary songs are children's songs), and so forth, but most of these are rare or unofficial in the present day, although they are still important for the purposes of HymnWiki.  There were Relief Society songbooks once upon a time.  Relief Society is a women's organization.

This is a fairly large project to undertake: making sufficient articles for all of these.  Maybe I better put a request somewhere.  For now, there's always http://www.mormonwiki.com/ and http://www.lds.org/ to reference.