Though In The Outward Church Below

Diane N
There was no discussion for this hymn, so I'm posting this here and you can move it to the hymn discussion page if you like. I don't think Jesus gets angry. Tares get angry and try to separate people into wheat and tares, which is probably why the hymn was left out of the new hymnbook. I was surprised by the words, "And pluck the tares in anger up." I first heard the song on the MTC Rock of Ages tape a long time ago, and I thought they were saying, "And pluck the tares in anger SOWN," which actually rhymes, almost, as opposed to "up" which doesn't rhyme, so I'm wondering about this because it doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know it all. But, I think that it is more accurate to think of the tares being sown in anger, rather than being plucked up in anger, although the proud will be burned as stubble and all enmity will cease when the Lord comes again, but I don't know that He will be angry when He burns up the proud. I will be glad.

Re: Though In The Outward Church Below

Shule
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You did the right thing posting it here. The wiki discussion isn't as likely to be noticed. In fact, I'm planning to replace the MediaWiki software with something else, eventually. Then you'll actually be able to edit it, and much more easily (I hope). I can't make server-level changes with the MediaWiki system, since I don't have access to the server (it's not my server). Changes are sorely needed. I'm a programmer. So, I'm making my own wiki software, including a database management system and my own wiki system. Then to make a hymn article, you'll just have to fill out a flexible form, instead of knowing anything about wiki syntax (aside from text styling and such). This will prevent people from making non-standard articles, and accidentally omitting important information, too. It will also allow people to publish unapproved articles/edits without damaging approved ones. This will be done similarly to Github's push/pull system, although I'd like to make it more intuitive for beginners. Essentially, everyone has their own wiki, but it's obvious which one is official. They're all sandwiched together with the official one on top. I'll probably make a privilege system similar to what stackoverflow does, too.

I agree that it's generally best to avoid controversial lyrics in hymns like this. I don't want to speculate, though. I'm sure leaders of the Church have expounded on what the scriptures mean by anger in reference to God. Ah. Of course they have:
* https://www.lds.org/ensign/1980/02/the-case-against-anger?lang=eng (See the heading entitled, 'The Lord's Anger').
* https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2009/10/love-and-law?lang=eng

The hymnist probably meant to imply the same thing the scriptures imply

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/tg/god-indignation-of

whether or not the hymnist succeeded.

But, yes, I think rewording the hymn is fine as long as what it is reworded to is good, and it is known that it isn't the original. Your words make sense. It's probably best to make hymns understandable without being ambiguous to those who don't know that anger refers to this or that. However, it's good to know there's a difference, too. Hymns like this may encourage us to search and ponder the words of God.