Wiki posters wanted

Shule
Administrator
HymnWiki is in need of posters - people who are familiar with wikis and hymns, as well as people who would like to be.  I am willing to train those who would like to be.

Note that HymnWiki is not as strict as Wikipedia - article summaries are not even required, to be quite honest (though the goal is for them to be be added eventually, if not at first).  The site is meant to be utilitarian, as well as inspiring - so far, however, there has been more of a utilitarian focus (i.e. Sheet Music, lyrics, information on poetic meters, hymn tune information, and so forth).

You may post personal works - this is, in fact, highly encouraged, unlike with Wikipedia where you must already be well-known to have an article about a personal work.  You may even upload your sheet music, create an article on HymnWiki including it, and hotlink to the sheet music files from other sites (like Wikipedia, CPDL.org, your personal site, and such, provided this is not done in a dangerous, criminal, unlawful, disrespectful, or otherwise ill manner - you must make sure your use of it will in no way jeopardize HymnWiki - in fact, you are responsible for your use of it).

Re: Wiki posters wanted

NateHowe
Hello.  I have just discovered the HymnWiki, and I would be quite interested in helping with the project.  I am not terribly familiar with proper Wiki formatting (I have contributed to CPDL using forms that automatically format the submitted information), but I am willing to learn.  Hopefully you will see me around the forum and the Wiki from time to time.

You can hear my own music at http://gratemusic.com and http://LDSmusic.us - I will probably post my original hymns here as well.

Re: Wiki posters wanted

Shule
Administrator
I'm glad to see that you've found HymnWiki and are interested in contributing.

I've used CPDL myself in a similar fashion.  Doing things manually isn't as hard as I once thought.  You make articles much how you do on Wikipedia (which is also much how it is done on CPDL.org; they all use MediaWiki software; the main differences are things with the templates, but you don't need to worry about those).

It's probably a good idea to register before you make and edit articles (but you can do most things without registering, anyway).

Anyway, try editing some articles and looking at how things were done in them.

To create a new article, you can either follow a link to it from another article, and then edit it from there, or you can search for the article you want to make - and there will be a link to create the article from there.

To link to an article, just surround it in double-brackets: [[A new sample article]]; keep in mind that articles are case-sensitive, so [[A New Sample Article]] would link to a different one than the first.

You can change the text that shows up for an article you link to like this: [[A new sample article|Take a look at this!]].  This will display the text 'Take a look at this', linking to the article called 'A new sample article'.

Headings are done by surrounding the text with equals signs:
=Heading1=
==Heading2==
===Heading3===

Bullets under headers are done by placing asterisks at the beginning of the line:
=Heading1=
*Item1
**ItemA
**ItemB
*Item2
*Item3

Oh, uploading files and linking to them is something you will probably want to know about.  You do need to register and sign in to upload files.  Anyway, files work much how articles work.  They have names that you can link to.  If you're linking to a PDF file you've uploaded, you don't need to link to it like an external link.  Just use the name of the file (that's the name of the file's article), with the following syntax: [[media:nameOfFile.pdf|theTextYouWantToShowUp]]
Alternatively, you can type [[image:nameOfFile.pdf|theTextYouWantToShowUp]], and that will link to the actual article for the file, rather than to a direct download (I think you use image to display images, too).

To make external links, try this: [http://www.somewebsite.com/ The text you want to show up.]

You'll want to be sure to include the licensing/copyright information on anything you upload to the server - plus anything you hotlink to.

Hymn articles generally have the name of the hymn text and link to articles about their tunes.  Articles are generally about the original song, but if you have arrangements, they would go under the sheet music section of the article.  If there is a significant amount of material about an arrangement, you can make an article specifically for it (but be sure to name it something other than what the name of the original article would have been).  Well, you can really try pretty much anything you want with the formatting, but you might expect others to edit it and make changes if the format is quite different.

Anyway, tell me if you have specific questions about how to do certain things, and what should be done.  Be sure to include sources, if you include any texts and/or music.

You can sign your name with a time stamp, on any article, by typing out four tildes: ~~~~
This is useful when saying who the contributer was (although this isn't quite as important as the copyright information and the sources, seeing as wikis track who did what; this just makes it easier to find out).

Also remember categories.  These are the things at the bottom.  When you put an article in a category, then it will show up on that category page.  For example, to put your article in the Hymns category, just put [[category:Hymns]] at the bottom of the page.  To link to the Hymns category instead of putting the article in it, type [[:category:Hymns|The text you want to show up]].  There's more to categories, but this is enough for most purposes.

I checked out your site, and it looks pretty cool.  I'll have to keep it in mind.  Do you want a link to it from the HymnWiki links page?

Thanks again, and do well!

Re: Wiki posters wanted

NateHowe
Thanks for the good tutorial.  Hopefully I can post something tonight.
If you'd like to add my site to the Links page, I would appreciate it, thanks.
I suppose my other question is what are the next things that need to be done on HymnWiki?  Besides posting more hymns, are there specific areas where you are focusing first as far as improving the wiki content?

Re: Wiki posters wanted

Shule
Administrator
We really need people to add more appropriate topics to the hymns that are there.

To create a new topic, just add a category with the name of your topic to some hymn.  Then, go to that new category (click on it), go to edit it, and add the category called Topics to it.  There's a section on the main page about this, but it might not be very noticeable, yet.  To add a topic that already exists to a hymn, just add the name of it as a category.  Anyway, this stuff will show up through the link on the side called 'Songs by Topic'.

Let's see . . . I started adding the meters to all of the hymns in the current LDS hymnal, as well as creating articles for all the tune names.  That needs to be finished.  I'll probably do it some time, but if someone beats me to it, that would be great.  I have up to no. 162 on this.  See the following link for an example of what I added to those first 162 in addition to that:
http://www.hymnwiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_Lord_Be_with_Us
(no. 161)
I just added the extra information since it would be easier to add the things at the same time than to add those both separately, but you can do whatever you want, if you want.  Remember, though, if you add any lyrics or music, cite your sources and mention the copyright information (only list public domain lyrics / sheet music unless you have the rights to display it).  You can do it how I did it, if you want (adding a link to the compilation I got the lyrics from in the heading), or some other way.

Adding lyrics to the hymn articles for the hymns in the Manchester Hymnal is another thing I've been working on.  There is a text file containing the full lyrics, on the page for this hymnal.

I'm typing out an 1845 hymnal - that's almost done (I haven't done anything with it for a long time, due to time constraints, though, but it's almost done).

Let's see . . . We need to try to get permission to post some of the LDS Church's music and lyrics on HymnWiki, and to post content from some of the books that give us information about the hymns in a couple of the hymnals (I have the phone number to contact them - I just haven't done it, yet).

Anyway, let me know if there's something specific you'd like to do.  I could help you get started if you like - but feel free to do what you want, as long as it doesn't violate any laws or site policies (I'll let you know if you do so on accident).  There's always more stuff to do, and you can come up with your own stuff to do, if you like.

Re: Wiki posters wanted

Orville_third
I recently came across your site while following the link from Wikipedia, and while I'm not a LDS member, I'd be glad to support your project and upload hymns for you. (In two of my hymnals, I have hymns written by LDS or RLDS authors, and in one case (A Primitve Baptist hymnal), I'm wondering how they might have gotten there...)

Re: Wiki posters wanted

Shule
Administrator
Thank you very much for your support and any contributions you make.

Remember to be sure you only upload public domain stuff (unless you own the rights or permission to do so).

What hymnals are these you reference?  This is interesting.  The exact titles and the original dates of publication would be most helpful.

What are some of these hymns?  Who are the authors?  Well, you don't have to tell me all at once (you can post the information on HymnWiki instead of mentioning it here if you like; I see whatever people do there, for now - at least until the posters get too numerous for me to keep track).

Re: The Hymns

Orville_third
OK. I may have to take it partway back. I know there are several LDS hymns in my "Book of Worship for United States Forces" (In case you're curious, they are "Come, Come ye Saints", "Come ye Children of the Lord", "High on the Mountaintop", "Redeemer of Israel", and "Come all ye Sons of God". I also have two hymnals that have a copyrighted and rewritten version of "Come, Come ye Saints". (While I'm not LDS, I prefer the original.) However, the hymns I referred to aren't widely known outside LDS circles, and were found in a Primitive Baptist hymnal. (The Old School Hymnal)

The LDS Hymn I was referring to was a version of Parley Pratt's "Bower of Prayer" (AKA "To leave my dear friends and from neighbors to part") (In the hymnal, it's credited to Parley Pratt (And Pratt wrote a poem that begins with those words, which was printed in (at least) "TIMES AND SEASONS" (vol. 3, #24) ( http://www.centerplace.org/history/ts/v3n24.htm ) , though I just came across a different version on Google that matches more closely. ( http://books.google.com/books?id=TtJf7S-WeNwC&pg=PA146&lpg=PA146&dq=%22to+leave+my+dear+friends+and+from%22&source=web&ots=I3ffAi7Gik&sig=IIGVL6MNYJtJyJzbFOCrrhhe1SY )
Perhaps the original was recast by Parley Pratt. (And, since both versions are public domain, they could be added, and even sung together.))

The RLDS hymn text I mentioned was David Hyrum Smith's "House of the Lord" (AKA "You may sing of the beauty of mountain and dale") It's been part of the Primitive Baptist repertory since at least 1887. (I do know the Primitive Baptists sing it to a different tune than the RLDS/Community of Christ. It was written by the American composer Austin Lane and is in public domain...but the melody has a range of over an octave...so I may try and find another tune.)

How did they get there? I do have some theories. Primitive Baptist have been known to use hymns from a variety of sources. Also, there was a small, but significant group of Primitive Baptists in Western Illinois around Carthage and Nauvoo. (In fact, I got a hymnal and hymnbook from the Primitive Baptist library in Carthage.) Finally, while it may be irrelevant, I came across a homeschool website that had bible lessons bookended by hymns taken from the Old School Hymnal and the LDS Hymnal.

(Of course, that's not the only unusual hymn I found. One hymn I found has been traced back to either the English Ranters or to the Shakers.)

I'll be glad to post anything I can find. I'll also post some translations of hymns from German to English that I'm working on.

Re: The Hymns

Shule
Administrator
Wow - that's really quite interesting.  I don't know how they could have gotten there.  I'll have to think on that, and do some research when I can.  Hopefully someone who knows more will even see this.

Thanks in advance for the translations!  Those are always really nice to have.  Don't forget to mention the rights you grant the public (or the license the translations are under), so we'll know what we can do with them.

Re: Wiki posters wanted

JoeJohnson
I would like to be involved in this project.  For almost two decades I have worked in music for various churches of many denominations, and believe that my knowledge could be valuable.  What do I need to start editing articles?  Does one need to have administration privileges?  While I have experience in html with websites, I haven't provided content for wikipedia-type sites.

Re: Wiki posters wanted

jcarroll
Jonathan,

To contribute to HymnWiki, create an account [1] and then go to work.  The "wiki way" is one of do first, ask second.  As you have talents, knowledge, and skills, share them on the site.  If you need help learning how to use a wiki, ask for help.  Feel free to email me directly if you have further questions.

Administrative privileges are needed to edit some pages, but any user who registers can create pages or edit (add to) existing pages.

Cheers,
James Carroll
jcarroll@byu.net

[1] http://www.hymnwiki.org/wiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup

Re: Wiki posters wanted

Shule
Administrator
For the moment, only users registered before a certain date can edit HymnWiki. If you can't edit and want to edit, let me know your username and I can add you. This is a hopefully temporary measure to block the spammers. I know some MediaWiki extensions that would help to solve the problem, but they haven't been approved by HymnWiki's supervisor, yet.

Thanks!