hymnal query

SongBird-2
I am currently working on the following LDS, RLDS, Church of Christ, etc. hymnals (I live in Independence MO and hymnals for these denominations are available to me; I'm sure there are other splinter groups that I am unaware of and/or unable to obtain hymnals they use-): 1835 LDS 1841 LDS 1861 RLDS 1870/1889 RLDS (1870 is text only; 1889 has tunes with same text) 1889 LDS 1895 RLDS 1903 RLDS 1927 LDS 1933 RLDS 1948 LDS 1956 RLDS 1975 Church of Christ (Temple Lot) 1981 RLDS (no CofC) 1985 LDS 1985 Restoration 1998 Church of Jesus Christ (Monongahela) 2006 Remnant Church of Jesus Christ 2007 Restoration (I am comparing texts, locating tune names, meters, etc.) Can any of these texts be useful for HymnWiki? If so, which ones? Can a hymnal that is still too new to be out of copyright be used for the *out of copyright* hymns it contains? Thanks! Songbird

Re: hymnal query

Shule
Administrator
I'm very sorry I didn't see this post earlier. I think I took off my notifications, and things have been in mild disarray for a while now (on the forums). It should all be fixed soon.

Anyway, of course, all of those hymnals could all be useful, actually.

The public domain RLDS hymnals look especially interesting to me.

Which edition of the 1889 LDS book do you have?

SongBird-2 wrote
Can any of these texts be useful for HymnWiki?  If so, which ones?  Can a hymnal that is still too new to be out of copyright be used for the *out of copyright* hymns it contains?
I would recommend researching this on a song by song basis to make sure the song is public domain first (if it's just out of copyright, there's always the chance it will be renewed; so, I would recommend just sticking to the public domain ones, if you want to submit much of the song's content: of course, you're free to make articles on all hymns and such so long as you don't violate copyright laws).

Now, I'll assume you meant public domain hymns in the first place. Public domain hymns printed in copyrighted hymnals are 'sometimes' questionable, seeing as editors can often add/change a significant amount of content. If there isn't much change between the original and the version in the hymnal at hand, though, it should be fine to use, but please, do the research. In most cases, though, I don't think anyone will complain about these, seeing as they don't usually say they've been edited in the first place, but it's a really good idea to be safe here, in my opinion. Also, there is the need to verify that they are public domain, and state how (usually through an early publication).

SongBird-2 wrote
I am currently working on the following LDS, RLDS, Church of Christ, etc. hymnals . . .
What kind of work are you doing on them, exactly? I'm curious.

Re: hymnal query

Shule
Administrator
I find quite a few LDS hymn resources, myself. But then, I am in the heart of Utah, currently. Most of the stuff I find is from the 1900s, though, but I do find a lot of stuff that most people have never heard of. Yesterday, I found some old German LDS hymnals (from 1927 and 1937), and I finally got that Pioneer Songbook (1932; revised 1940) I've been eying for so long.

Let me know if you ever come across the following:
* Deseret Sunday School Union Music Book, 1884
* Deseret Sunday School Song Book, ca. 1901 (this is not the same thing as Deseret Sunday School Songs)
* The Children’s Primary Hymn Book, 1880
* The Tune Book for the Primary Association of the Children of Zion, 1880
* Hymns and Songs for the Primary Association of the Children of Zion, 1880
* The 1912 text only LDS hymnal, or any of those text only printings similar to this printed after 1845
* Any public domain foreign language LDS hymnals/songbooks (RLDS, too—did they have any foreign ones back then?)
* Any public domain Relief Society, Priesthood, young men and young women's hymnals/songbooks (i.e. published before 1923)
* Any public domain compilation containing Song of the Redeemed, by Evan Stephens (I have yet to find one, though there must be one somewhere)